The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating Wisconsin taxes
- Deciding which Wisconsin taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the Wisconsin Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for Wisconsin Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Wisconsin?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Wisconsin information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Wisconsin Agencies should I register for?
- Wisconsin Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Wisconsin, or for any employees that calculate Wisconsin withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of Wisconsin, but your employees work or live in Wisconsin you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Wisconsin. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in Wisconsin, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
Wisconsin Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): 1-(860)-297-5962
- Register for your State Tax ID
Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development (unemployment insurance assistance): 414-438-5395
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
If you are a new employer in the State of Wisconsin, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Form WT-6: Monthly Withholding Return
- Form WT-6: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation
- Form WT-7: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- Wisconsin Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as a Wisconsin Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Wisconsin State Tax ID: 15-digit number Ex: 000-0000000000-00
- If you have already set up and online account HERE then please provide us with the login credentials.
- You will need to have already registered your business with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID and login credentials we can file and pay all of your Wisconsin Department of Revenue taxes for you.
Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as a Wisconsin Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Wisconsin Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 000000-000-0
- Wisconsin Internet Access Code: The access number appears on your Quarterly Contribution Report (UCT-101) sent to you by the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development.
- If you have already set up and online account HERE then please provide us with the login credentials. If not we will set up an account for you.
- You will need to have already registered your business with the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
I am an existing Wisconsin employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Wisconsin you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Wisconsin Department of Revenue:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Account Number on the form WT-6 withholding coupon or on the welcome letter labelled "Filing Number" sent by the WI DOR.
- Wisconsin Withholding Letter ID: We need this Letter ID so we can add your business to our MyTax account. These are located on the notification letter you received when registering with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the Wisconsin Department of Revenue at 1-(860)-297-5962 and request the account number.
Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Tax Rate Notices
- Quarterly Wage Report (Form UCT-101)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the righthand side of the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development at 1-(414)-438-5395 and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Wisconsin DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Wisconsin, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an Wisconsin Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the Wisconsin Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of Arizona. Please send the completed Power of Attorney forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the Department of Revenue and the Department of Workforce Development please forward it on to us at Tax@onpay.com.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**