The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating Rhode Island taxes
- Deciding which Rhode Island taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the Rhode Island Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for Rhode Island Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Rhode Island?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Rhode Island information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Rhode Island Agencies should I register for?
- Rhode Island Division of Taxation: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Rhode Island, or for any employees that calculate Rhode Island withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of Rhode Island, but your employees work or live in Rhode Island you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Rhode Island. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in Rhode Island, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
Rhode Island Department of Taxation (withholding assistance): 1-(401) 574-8829
- Register for your State Tax ID
Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training (unemployment insurance assistance): 1-(401) 243-9137
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
- Click here to register your Rhode Island business with the Rhode Island Department of Taxation and Labor & Training
If you are a new employer in the State of Rhode Island, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Form 941M: Monthly Withholding Return
- Form 941Q: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation
- Form 941A: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- Rhode Island Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as a Rhode Island Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Rhode Island State Tax ID: 9-digit number Ex: 000000000 then add two 00 on end to sign up on Withholding Website
- If you have already set up and online account HERE then please provide us with the login credentials.
- You will need to have already registered your business with the Rhode Island Department of Taxation
- To sign up for Online access:
Once you provide us with your State Tax ID and login credentials we can file and pay all of your Rhode Island Division of Taxation taxes for you.
RI Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as a Connecticut Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Rhode Island Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 0000000000
Once you provide us with your State Unemployment Tax ID we can file and pay all of your Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training taxes for you.
I am an existing Rhode Island employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Rhode Island you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Rhode Island Division of Taxation:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account on notices received from the Rhode Island Division of Taxation.
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the Rhode Island Division of Taxation at 1-(401) 574-8829 and request the account number.
Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Tax Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form TX-17)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the Tax Rate Notice
- Job Development Fund Rates: This can be found on the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Rhode Island DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Rhode Island, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an Rhode Island Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the Rhode Island Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of Rhode Island. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms email@example.com.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the Division of Taxation and the Department of Labor & Training please forward it on to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**